Old Ch, Mullanacross, Co. Monaghan

Co. Monaghan |

Churches & Chapels

Old Ch, Mullanacross, Co. Monaghan

At Mullanacross in County Monaghan, a small stream loops almost entirely around a graveyard, as if the water itself were drawing a boundary.

Inside that boundary stand the remnants of the medieval parish church of Errigal Trough, two gable walls and not much else, yet the site carries an unusual density of things that have been moved, lost, or quietly closed off. Carved corbel heads were taken to Favor Royal in County Tyrone. A graveslab commemorating Prior Tullius Kena, noted by the scholar John O'Donovan when he visited in 1835, has since vanished entirely. And there is an unconfirmed record of a sheela-na-gig, one of the enigmatic carved figures of a female form found on medieval Irish ecclesiastical buildings, that was removed to the Ulster Museum, though this identification remains uncertain.

The church was dedicated to St Meallán, an associate of St Fursa, a seventh-century saint from County Down. Meallán is otherwise obscure; his feast day falls on 26 October, and beyond that, very little survives of his story. Clergy attached to the church are documented from 1441, and by the time of Spottiswold's Visitation in 1622 the building was already described as ruinous. It was subsequently rebuilt and served Protestant worship until 1824, when a new Church of Ireland church was opened roughly 150 metres to the south-east. What remains today is the west gable, just over eight metres long, with a central doorway whose round arch is a later reconstruction, and the east gable, slightly shorter, with a wide pointed opening from which the dressed stones have been robbed. The graveyard's headstones date almost exclusively to the eighteenth century, with the McKenna name appearing repeatedly across them.

Across the road to the north-east, St Meallán's holy well sits at the base of a north-east-facing rock face, its water collecting in a small D-shaped recess before overflowing across a stone platform to the stream below. Holy wells in Ireland were traditionally the focus of patterns, communal gatherings combining religious observance with socialising, often held on a saint's feast day or a proximate date. Here, folk memory records a two-day pattern held around 30 August each year, until the well was closed in 1836. There is no evidence of active veneration now, though the well itself, accessed by a short path down from the road, remains findable.

Rated 0 out of 5

Visitor Notes

Review type for post source and places source type not found
Added by
Picture of Pete F
Pete F
IrishHistory.com is passionate about helping people discover and connect with the rich stories of their local communities.
Please use the form below to submit any photos you may have of Old Ch, Mullanacross, Co. Monaghan. We're happy to take any suggested edits you may have too. Please be advised it will take us some time to get to these submissions. Thank you.
Name
Email
Message
Upload images/documents
Maximum file size: 100 MB
If you'd like to add an image or a PDF please do it here.

Irish Tourist Association. Surveys undertaken in the 1940s for the Irish Tourist Association (now Fáilte Ireland) relating to ‘Natural features, antiquities, historic associations etc.’ Extracts from these surveys were copied into the Topographical files of the Office of Public Works and these have been incorporated into the Sites and Monuments Record files (National Monuments Service).

Ó Riain, P. 2011 A dictionary of Irish Saints. Dublin. Four Courts Press.

Leslie, J.B. 1929 Clogher clergy and parishes. Enniskillen.

Shirley, E.P. 1879 (Reprint 1988) The history of the county of Monaghan. London. Pickering.

Freitag, B. 2004 Sheela-na-gigs: unravelling an enigma. London. Routledge.

Herity, M. (ed.) 2012 Ordnance Survey Letters: Londonderry, Fermanagh, Armagh-Monaghan, Louth, Cavan-Leitrim. Dublin, Fourmasters Press

Mulligan, Rev. P., McEntee, Rev. P., and T. McMahon 1987 Memorials in Old Errigal Cemetery, County Monaghan. Clogher Record vol. 12, No. 3, 371-87.

Taylor, Rev. J. Wallace 1892-1900 Errigal Trough. Journal of the Association for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead in Ireland 2, 185-91; vol. 3, 3, 123-28; vol. 4, 112-13, 289-93.

McKenna, Rev. J. E. 1920 Parochial History of the Diocese of Clogher. 2 vols, Enniskillen, Author

Advertisement