Convent in Ruins, Cully, Co. Offaly
Co. Offaly |
Religious Houses
A single ivy-clad gable wall, roughly four metres high and built from random limestone rubble, is all that remains of what was once a functioning Franciscan friary in the Offaly countryside.
The building was small even at its most complete; surveys from 1942 and 1974 recorded it as little larger than an oratory, its two doorways and lateral walls now entirely gone. What makes it quietly unusual is not the ruin itself but the story of quiet persistence it represents: a religious house operating openly under a Penal Law regime, maintaining its rule, farming its land, and sending its friars out to serve neighbouring parishes under conditions that made such things officially impossible.The origins of the Cully friary reach back to 1677, when Charles O'Molloy, ruler of Firceall, wrote to Rome requesting permission to establish a house for the Franciscans in the baronies of Ballycowan, Ballyboy, and Eglish. His letter asked that the friars be allowed to settle near the existing sanctuary at Rahan, where they could, as he put it, "reside and conserve orthodoxy" in those three territories. Permission appears to have been granted, and a house was established shortly afterwards. There is reason to think the building pre-dates even this foundation, however; a punch dressed stone bearing the date 1641, now kept in a local pub called the Blue Ball, is believed to have come from the structure, suggesting it may have begun as an existing seventeenth-century house that was subsequently converted for Franciscan use. The friary continued through the worst decades of the Penal Laws, with the friars farming attached land that was still identified as the "Convent Farm" on the Ordnance Survey six-inch map of 1838. The last friar of Cully, Reverend John Egan, who served as parish priest of Eglish, died in 1807.What survives now is the south gable, complete to its full height and still carrying its chimney stack, which once served a ground-floor fireplace. Beside the fireplace a narrow window embrasure, just forty centimetres wide, is still visible, and there may be the remains of a wall oven on the interior face, though field clearance debris piled against the gable makes any close examination difficult. The wall's upper reaches are obscured by ivy. It is the kind of ruin that takes a moment to read correctly: modest, agricultural in feel, easily overlooked in undulating midland countryside, yet connected to a surprisingly specific and documented history.
