Strancally Castle, Co. Waterford

Co. Waterford |

Main Houses

Strancally Castle, Co. Waterford

A battlemented house above the River Blackwater, built in the 1820s a few miles upstream from the ruin of the castle that reputedly got itself blown up.

Strancally Castle sits on a wooded slope above a bend of the River Blackwater in west Waterford, a few miles downstream of Cappoquin and Lismore. The name comes from the Irish Srón Chaillí, "the hag's nose", after the rocky spur that pushes out into the river.

The battlements, corner towers and arrow slits are about 190 years old and none of them were ever meant to stop anybody. The castle they imitate stood roughly 4.5 km downstream, and there is not much of it left.

The old castle

Tradition credits the first castle at Strancally to Raymond le Gros Fitzgerald, one of the Cambro-Norman commanders who arrived in the 1170s. By the sixteenth century the land around it belonged to the FitzGeralds, Earls of Desmond. That ended with the Second Desmond Rebellion, James Fitzjohn FitzGerald, the last Geraldine holder of Strancally, was executed after 1579 and the family's estates were confiscated by the crown.

The story people remember comes from Francis Grose's Antiquities of Ireland, published in 1791, two centuries after the events it describes, which is worth keeping in mind. Grose describes a castle "built on a rock directly over the river" and says one of the Earls of Desmond kept prisoners there. A shaft had been cut down through the rock and fitted to work like a portcullis, and through it the bodies of the dead were dropped into the Blackwater. When word of this reached the government, Grose writes, orders were given to destroy both the cave and the castle. Gunpowder split the building from top to bottom and brought down about half of it.

How much of that is true is anyone's guess. The tale was circulating locally long before Grose wrote it down, and no cave answering the description has ever been convincingly identified. The surviving fragment of masonry still perches on its rock and is best seen from the water.

A new castle, 1827

John Keily (c. 1765–1843) built the present house upriver from the ruin, starting around 1827. He was High Sheriff of Waterford in 1819–20 and MP for Clonmel over roughly the same period, losing the seat at the 1820 election; the building work followed shortly after. His architects were the brothers James (1779–1877) and George Richard Pain (1793–1838), a Cork-based practice with a long list of country houses, courthouses and churches behind them. They were working on Dromoland Castle in Co. Clare in the same years, and the resemblance is hard to miss once you have seen both.

Samuel Lewis, writing in 1837, called it "a large gothic building, in a richly planted demesne of above 1,000 acres". The wider estate was closer to 5,000 acres by the time it was sold. Griffith's Valuation records Keily holding the house in fee at a rateable value of £61, with a separate farmyard at Kilmanicholas valued at £37 in 1851, a substantial operation in its own right.

What to look at

The house is three bays wide and three storeys over a basement, built of limestone and sandstone ashlar: cut, squared blocks laid with fine joints. It is expensive stonework, and it is the reason the building has aged as well as it has.

The centre bay projects forward, with an open round-headed porch at ground level and a canted oriel window jettied out above it. Angled bays at either corner do the work of towers. Everything defensive about it is decoration; the battlemented parapets and corner pinnacles, the machicolations (the projecting stone boxes that on a working castle let defenders drop things on whoever was below), and the lancet slits on the east block, which look like gun loops but are blind, with solid stone behind them.

The windows tell you the same thing. The openings are square-headed and evenly spaced, in the Georgian manner; the Gothic comes from what has been fitted into them, with stone mullions and tracery forming pairs of pointed arches under hood mouldings. Behind the parapets the roofs are hipped and slated. The original chimneys were clusters of polygonal shafts in twos, threes and fours; these were replaced with rendered stacks during the works of 2003.

At the rear, facing south, a single-storey conservatory runs along the ground floor beneath a battlemented parapet, with a square tower rising at the south-west corner. A two-storey block extends east, and a single-storey wing runs west to finish in a two-storey pavilion. Off to the south-west is the outbuilding range: five arched carriageways in rubble stone under a battlemented parapet, with a small square tower at one end.

After the Keilys

The estate was sold in 1856, the sale notice included a lithograph of the house and a lengthy description of the demesne, to George Whitelocke Lloyd, of an Anglo-Irish manufacturing family, who served as High Sheriff of Waterford in 1859–60. His son William Whitelocke Lloyd (1856–1897) was an army officer and a capable watercolourist who painted his way through the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. The Lloyds appear at Strancally in the census returns of 1901, 1911 and 1926, and the house was valued at just over £63 in 1906.

The Irish Land Commission acquired the estate in the twentieth century and sold the land off in parcels before parting with the house and a remaining 160 acres. The Irish Tourist Association's 1943 survey found the interior still intact, library and picture collection included. Edward Parke Seaton owned it for a period after the Second World War, and the Billensteiner family held it towards the end of the century.

Around 2000 the house was bought by Giancarla Forte, daughter of the hotelier Charles Forte, and Michael Alen-Buckley, who restored it over roughly two decades. When the building was surveyed in 2003 the roof, windows and rainwater goods were all mid-replacement. In 2022 domestic and maintenance staff at the estate brought a complaint to the Workplace Relations Commission, a dispute that attracted support from syndicalist unions in Ireland and abroad. In 2026 the house and a 440-acre estate were sold privately to Mark Zuckerberg, reportedly for somewhere between €23 million and €35 million.

Rated 0 out of 5

Good to Know

  • This is a private home and it is not open to the public. There are no tours, no open days and no public right of way through the demesne. Please don't turn up at the gates.
  • There is no visitor car park. The approach roads are narrow, hedged and used by farm traffic, with few passing places and no verge worth pulling onto. If you want to stop and look at the landscape, do it from one of the public viewing points along the Blackwater rather than the lane outside.
  • The river is the best vantage point. Strancally was designed to be seen from the water, and the same goes for the ruin of the old castle downstream. Boat trips on the Blackwater run seasonally from Youghal and Cappoquin — check operators and sailing times before you travel, as schedules depend on tides and weather.
  • Don't fly a drone over it. It is an occupied private residence.
  • Base yourself nearby. Lismore, Cappoquin, Tallow and Youghal all have parking, food and accommodation within a half-hour drive. Lismore has the most to fill a day, with the castle gardens (seasonal, admission charge), St Carthage's Cathedral and the heritage centre.
  • Best time to go. The Blackwater valley is at its best in late spring and autumn; winter foliage is thinner, which makes the house easier to pick out from the river, but the boat trips mostly don't run.

Tags

Visitor Notes

Review type for post source and places source type not found
Added by
Picture of Pete F
Pete F
IrishHistory.com is passionate about helping people discover and connect with the rich stories of their local communities.
Please use the form below to submit any photos you may have of Strancally Castle, Co. Waterford. We're happy to take any suggested edits you may have too. Please be advised it will take us some time to get to these submissions. Thank you.
Name
Email
Message
Upload images/documents
Maximum file size: 100 MB
If you'd like to add an image or a PDF please do it here.

Contemporary and archival

  • Grose, Francis. The Antiquities of Ireland. London, 1791.  The castle on the rock, the Earl of Desmond’s prison, the shaft cut through the rock, and the demolition by gunpowder.
  • Howitt, William. Homes and Haunts of the Most Eminent British Poets. London, 1847. A later retelling of the murder-hole story, in verse and prose.
  • Lewis, Samuel. A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837. Vol. I, p. 580 (Dungarvan parish); Vol. II, p. 62 (Kilcockan parish). The 1837 description of the house and the 1,000-acre demesne.
  • Griffith’s Valuation of Ireland (Primary Valuation of Tenements), 1850–58. Barony of Coshmore & Coshbride: Strancally Demesne, Kilmanicholas, Knockanore, Tubbrid. Keily holding in fee at £61; the Kilmanicholas farmyard at £37.
  • Encumbered Estates Court sale notices, 1856–57 (adjourned lot, Ballyphillip, January 1860). Over 5,000 acres offered for sale; includes the lithograph of the castle.
  • Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion, HC 1906. The 1906 valuations.
  • Census of Ireland, 1901 and 1911, and the 1926 census. National Archives of Ireland. The Lloyd family in residence.
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey, 1943. Waterford County Library / Waterford County Museum. Description of the interior, library and picture collection.
  • Dáil Éireann debate, 29 October 1958: “Sale of Strancally (Waterford) Castle and Lands”. The Land Commission disposal.
  • De Breffny, Brian, and Rosemary Ffolliott. The Houses of Ireland. Scale and plan of the house.

Architectural and estate records

  • National Inventory of Architectural Heritage (NIAH), Buildings of Ireland:
    • Strancally Castle and outbuilding range, Strancally Demesne reg. no. 22903402. https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/22903402/strancally-castle-strancally-demesne-waterford
    • Strancally Tower (folly), Ballyphilip West reg. no. 22903403.
    • Estate worker’s cottage, Kilmanicholas reg. no. 22903404. https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/22903404/strancally-castle-kilmanicholas-waterford
    • Further demesne structure, Strancally Demesne reg. no. 22903405.
  • Landed Estates database, University of Galway:
    • Property record: Strancally Castle. https://landedestates.ie/property/3929
    • Estate record: Keily. https://landedestates.ie/estate/3217
    • Estate record: Lloyd (Strancally Castle).
  • Record of Protected Structures, Waterford City and County Council.

Secondary and online

  • “Historic Houses of Ireland: Strancally Castle, Co. Waterford”, Great Irish Houses blog, May 2013. https://greatirishhouses.blogspot.com/2013/05/strancally-castle-co-waterford.html
  • Blackwater Boating, “Houses & Gardens”. https://blackwaterboating.ie/the-river/houses-gardens/ Useful for the river approach and seasonal trips.

Recent reporting

  • The Irish Times, “Mark Zuckerberg buys Strancally Castle in Co Waterford”, 20 August 2026. https://www.irishtimes.com/property/2026/08/20/meta-boss-mark-zuckerberg-buys-co-waterford-castle/
  • The Irish Times, “Mark Zuckerberg’s Irish castle is immortalised in verse as the site of gruesome deeds”, 20 August 2026. https://www.irishtimes.com/property/residential/2026/08/20/mark-zuckerbergs-irish-castle-is-immortalised-in-verse-as-the-site-of-gruesome-deeds/

Advertisement