Comhartha Túr an Ceann an Charraigín, Cruachlann, Co. Donegal
Co. Donegal |
On the tip of Carrigan Head, with the Atlantic on three sides, stands a square stone tower that once formed part of a chain of early-warning stations stretching around the Irish coast.
Three storeys tall and now roofless, its walls carry an odd defensive flourish, machicolations, projecting stone galleries at parapet level through which defenders could drop objects on anyone attempting to force the entrance below. The main door, reached originally by a retractable ladder, was covered by one such machicolation on the south side, a small but telling sign of how seriously these buildings took the possibility of attack even as they functioned mainly as relay stations for visual messages rather than fortresses in their own right.
The tower belongs to a network of more than eighty signal stations built along Ireland's west, south, south-east and north-west coasts between 1804 and 1806, a direct response to French invasion attempts in the 1790s, most notably the landing at Killala in County Mayo in 1798. Each station stood within sight of its neighbours, here linking north-east to Malin Beg and south-east to a now-demolished tower at Saint John's Point, and used a system of flags and balls hoisted on a fifty-foot mast to pass warnings of enemy ships from point to point along the coast. High, exposed ground was chosen deliberately, keeping construction costs down while guaranteeing clear sightlines, which is why these towers so often occupy dramatic positions above the sea. Work at Carrigan Head began in September 1804 under the direction of Major-General Sir Charles Ross, who oversaw several such projects in Donegal, and was largely finished within a year, with the mast erected and a signal lieutenant appointed by February 1806. At £696, it was the most expensive of the four signal towers built in south-west Donegal. The urgency behind the whole programme evaporated quickly: after Nelson's victory at Trafalgar in 1805 removed the immediate threat of invasion, the towers were abandoned by 1809, many of them within just a few years of completion.
What sets this example apart is its unusually intact condition. It retains cut stone surrounds around its window and door openings, block-and-start detailing finished with keystones, a feature that has been stripped away from many comparable towers elsewhere along the coast, presumably for reuse as building material. Traces of the original fireplaces survive on two levels, along with the corbelled stonework that once supported the parapet walkways, offering a rare, legible sense of how the interior was arranged for the handful of men stationed here. Close by stands the ruin of a much later addition, a single-storey watchman's post from the Second World War, a reminder that this stretch of coast was pressed into service for coastal surveillance more than once across two very different conflicts.