Hore Abbey (in ruins), Horeabbey, Co. Tipperary
Co. Tipperary |
Religious Houses
Most ruined abbeys in Ireland owe their dissolution to the same blunt Tudor policy, but Hore Abbey carries an older, stranger origin story.
It was founded in 1272 not by a great Anglo-Norman lord or a pious king, but by David McCarville, the Archbishop of Cashel, who reportedly decided to expel the existing Benedictine community from Cashel and replace them with Cistercians. The result was the last Cistercian foundation in Ireland before the Reformation, established as a daughter house of Mellifont and formally named the Abbey of the Rock, de Rupe, in acknowledgement of the great limestone outcrop that rises to the north-north-east with the cathedral of Cashel visible on its summit. The abbey sits on flat ground beside a small east-west stream, and the contrast between its low, spreading ruins and that commanding skyline is quietly disorienting.
The monastery was dissolved in 1540, but its story did not end there. The chancel continued in use as a parish church, served by three of the former monks, and the surrounding lands passed through several hands: first to Edmund Heffernan, then, by a 1561 grant, to Sir Henry Radcliffe, with subsequent leases to James Butler, Earl of Ormond, and Thomas Sinclair. By 1640 the proprietor was Edward Boyton, described in contemporary records as an Irish Papist and an alderman of Cashel. Long before then, the monks' domestic quarters had been repurposed as private housing. The nave, south transept, and chapter house were all converted, and in the west gable of the nave the evidence is still legible in the stonework: inserted corbels, offset ledges that once carried timber floors, a fireplace at ground level, and three later two-light windows stacked one above the other suggest a four-storey residential building occupying what had been the western end of the church. A cross-wall was inserted into the nave, and some of the aisle arches were blocked up entirely.
What survives is substantial and architecturally detailed. The crossing tower retains fine lierne rib-vaulting, a form of decorative stone vaulting where the ribs form star-like or net patterns rather than following simple diagonal lines. Square holes in both western crossing piers, set opposite each other at springer level, indicate the position of a former rood screen, the timber partition that once divided nave from chancel in medieval churches. On the north-west pier a carved hanging shield bears the Butler coat of arms. In the chancel, the original thirteenth-century lancet windows were partially blocked in the fifteenth century and smaller ogee-headed windows inserted in their place, leaving a visible record of changing taste across two centuries. The cloister and its associated ranges lie to the north of the church rather than to the south, which is unusual enough to be singular: this is the only Cistercian abbey in County Tipperary to have been laid out in this configuration.